The Couch Tomato Bistro
The Couch Tomato Bistro and Cafe is located right on Main Street in Manayunk. The downstairs Cafe has been serving up fresh pizza since opening in September 2003. In October 2011, the Bistro opened to give customers more of a fine dining experience. After its booming success, The Couch Tomato Bistro opened up a second location in West Chester in 2015.
It all started back in 2003, when owners Mike and Craig, who were living in Manayunk, noticed there was no quick-service option for food. They wanted to combine a gourmet pizza place with a create-your-own salad joint, which didn’t exist at the time, and thus The Couch Tomato Cafe was born.
On the ground floor, The Couch Tomato Cafe offers great pizza by the slice and flavorful salads- the most popular salads being:
- The Cajun Shrimp Salad with organic spinach, avocado, roasted corn, grape tomato, fresh lime, orange-chili vinaigrette
- The Holy Chipotle Salad with All-Natural Chicken, Red Onion, Black Bean, Cilantro, Avocado, Tortilla Chips, and Chipotle Dressing
- The Food Pyramid Salad with All-Natural Chicken, Strawberry, Cucumber, Candied Pecan, Shredded Mozzarella, and Balsamic Dressing.
If you’re a pizza lover then you should really try:
- Short Rib Pizza with fig pesto, fontina, mozzarella, mascarpone, rosemary, and organic arugula
- Honey Chipotle Chicken Pizza with breaded chicken cutlet, shaved celery, mozzarella, and gorgonzola
- Florentine Pizza with roasted garlic sauce, organic spinach, fontina, mozzarella, ricotta, grana padano, and lemon zest
All these pizzas are also served upstairs in the Bistro as personal-sized pies. Additionally any pizza can be made gluten-free and its one of the best gluten-free pizza crusts we’ve tried!
If you’re looking for more of a fine dining experience, head upstairs to The Couch Tomato Bistro. They’ve got lots of starters, soups, salads, pizza, sandwiches, and entrees. At the beginning of our meal we were served little sample cups of their Homemade Tomato Bisque. Then we indulged in the Mac N’ Cheese appetizer (which could most definitely be a dinner portion). The dish had fresh pasta with Fontina cheese, Parmesan, Smoked Gouda, and Bacon.
We would also recommend the Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla which was also packed with spice and flavor. The Pan Fried Artichokes are crispy and delicious or the Mussels are great to share and include a side of perfectly cooked french fries.
At The Couch Tomato every soup is homemade AND they have over 30 different soups! Ranging from Chicken Corn Chowder, Spicy Butternut Bisque, Vegan Tomato Basil Bisque, and Chicken White Bean & Fennel, they have got something for everyone. Many of the soups are even vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
The Couch Tomato knows how to do fine dining, we’ve tried the Steak Frites and Pan Seared Scallops which were both cooked to perfection and plated beautifully, even with a tomato rosette!
In addition to gluten-free, The Couch Tomato has lots of options for vegans and vegetarians. They carry vegan cheese that can be substituted on and of the pizzas, salads, and sandwiches, and many of their homemade soups are already made vegan. Their menu in both the cafe and bistro is very conscious of different dietary needs.
Keep an eye out for menu items featuring Kite Hill Vegan Cheese– this cheese tastes so similar to regular dairy cheese, you won’t even be able to tell the difference.
Want something sweet? Why not try out their homemade “Maddie Bars” with Chocolate Chips, Caramel, and Coconut with a Graham Cracker Crust or their Bananas Foster with Vanilla Italian Ice Cream. Your sweet tooth is sure to be satisfied!
And don’t forget to take advantage of their specials.
- Mondays are Family-Style to-go where dinners specials are offered all wrapped up (great for parents on the go who need to feed their families a meal and a night off from cooking dinner)
- Wednesdays are Gluten-Free nights (where customers receive 25% off Gluten-Free pizza and 50% off Spire cider)
This restaurant has received numerous accolades which we totally agree with!
- “Excellent” – Zagat
- “Best Pizza” – Philly mag
- “Best Healthy Lunch” – Philly HOTLIST
“Best Gluten-Free Pizza” – Philly.com
- “Best Soups” – Philadelphia Daily News
- “Certificate of Excellence” – Trip Advisor
If you find yourself in the Manayunk (or West Chester) area, definitely add this restaurant to your list. And, if you’re like Arielle, who can’t parallel park, don’t you date worry – they also offer complimentary valet parking!
-Arielle and Lea
Building, salad, and dessert photos via Yelp. We’d like to thank Sam Carchidi at The Couch Tomato for taking the time to meet with us and let us sample your delicious food.