HOLY COW! Cleavers is about to turn the Rittenhouse sandwich game upside down. This spot is serving up high quality cheesesteaks with USDA approved shaved Ribeye, along with grilled chicken, breaded chicken cutlets, and vegetarian options! Cleavers gives you the option to customize any sandwich or wrap, and they’ve got salads too. Add a boozy milkshake or one of their 60 beers, and you’ve got a meal that will leave your co-workers drooling in envy.
Cleavers is run by two sets of siblings from the Philadelphia area- Electra and Dimitri Poulimenos and Savva and Ted Bouikidis. The Poulimenos family has expertise working in meat manufacturing with Astra Foods Inc. and the Bouikidis family has been running pizzerias for years- I’m sure you’ve heard of Zesto Pizza with its 3 locations in University City, Roxborough, and Bryn Mawr. They combined their best skills, and soon Cleavers was opening its doors to the hungry cheesesteak deprived crowds of Center City.
Cleavers prides itself on value and high quality product. The owners know how most cheesesteaks are made with low quality, frozen ingredients, and they only want to give their customers the best. Their cheesesteaks are made with USDA approved shaved ribeye and they bread their chicken cutlets by hand- you won’t see any frozen pre-made products here. They use New Yorker American cheese and make their own White Cheddar cheese sauce. Don’t worry, they have Kraft Wiz too. They also have regular and seeded rolls from Abruzzi bakery in Grays Ferry, Philadelphia.
Cleavers may be known for their cheesesteaks, but that is not their only option. They have chicken sandwiches (grilled or breaded), wraps, salads, milkshakes, beer, alcoholic milkshakes, waffle fries, and a Create-Your-Own sandwich/wrap.
Talk about value- they have $2 Yuengling, Bud, and Bud Light everyday- in addition to a selection of over 60 beers in bottles and cans! Customers can purchase up to 2 six-packs and get 20% off of the same beer or 10% off a mixed pack.
Their menu has everything a true cheesesteak lover would want with shaved USDA Ribeye cheesesteaks topped with 8 different cheese options. Build your own or try one of their signature creations such as:
- The Block- ribeye steak with sharp provolone, mushrooms, peppers, and fried onions
- Papa’s Favorite Steak– ribeye steak, fried onions, shredded mozzarella, and pizza sauce toasted in the oven
- Zinger Steak– ribeye steak, house long hots, and sharp provolone
- Effin’ Hot Steak– (for those of you who like it spicy hot!) with hot cherry pepper relish, fried onions, American cheese and Sriracha Aioli
You can get any sandwich on a seeded or regular roll, white or wheat wrap, or, to go gluten-free and cut the carbs, you can get it all in a bowl! Cleavers portions are big enough to satisfy, but if you don’t think a regular cheesesteak will cut it, you can always go for “The Cleaver”- their 1 lb. cheesesteak sure to bust a gut.
Their chicken sandwiches are offered in nice big chunks grilled or in sliced breaded cutlets. If you’re looking for a recommendation:
- Chicken Parm– chicken, pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, and shredded parmesean
- Buffalo Chicken- chicken, hot sauce, and blue cheese dressing
- Chicken Balsamico- chicken, roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella, and balsammic glaze
- Chicken Italiano- chicken, sharp provolone, sauteed spinach, and roasted red peppers
For veggie lover the top seller is their “Porto Fresca” with mozzarella, peppers, spinach, and mushrooms. There are tons of side options such as Sweet Potato or Regular Waffle Fries (try them topped with Cheesesteak!), Fried Pickle Spears with Sriracha Aioli, Fried Mozzarella, Zucchini Sticks or Fried Green Beans with Ranch, Onion Rings, and Chicken Fingers. If you’re trying to watch your waistline the salads are a nice entree-sized portion, the “Steakhouse Salad” has got their signature ribeye steak and the “Chicken Caesar” has got loads of fresh grilled chicken on top.
If you’re got a sweet tooth and any room left in your belly then you’ll go for a shake or soda float. They’ve also got Boozy Milkshakes for the adult crowd.
- Jacked Chocolate– chocolate ice cream with Jack Daniel’s Whiskey
- Kahlua Coffee– vanilla ice cream with Kahlua Coffee Liquor
- Coconilla– vanilla ice cream with Coconut rum
- Birthday Surprise– Birthday cake ice cream with vodka
- Berry Blast– strawberry ice cream with berry vodka
I loved the Jack Daniel’s and Chocolate Shake. Non-alcoholic flavors include vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, cookies & cream, black and white, and birthday cake.
Delivery available through Grubhub and online ordering available soon.
I’d like to thank Cleavers, and Electra Poulimenos for taking the time to sit down with me, discuss Cleavers, and for allowing me to try all this delicious food.