Philadelphia goes one place for “ridiculously creative sandwiches, made with house-roasted meats and veggies, all hand-carved to order.” In 2010, Sean and Gary opened Jake’s Sandwich Board at 12th and Sansom Street. On June 20, 2016 they introduced 4 new sandwiches onto the menu for summer, catering to both vegetarians and omnivores.
Gary and Sean met through family. Sean had worked with his family in the restaurant business and Gary was running a cheesesteak shop in the Liberty Place Shopping Center when they decided to join forces to create more than your average sandwich shop.
Jake’s Sandwich Board was such a success that they opened up a second location in University City in December 2015. It’s easy to see why customers keep coming back for more. Jake’s has the comfort of a mom and pop shop with a gourmet menu using nothing but the best ingredients in a creative way. The menu allows for you to create your own or choose from signature sandwich creations. Pork, brisket, turkey and seasonal vegetables are all roasted in house and can be served on a handmade roll from Lou Carangi’s Bakery in South Philly, in a bowl over a baby spinach and arugula salad, or as a “haystack” on top of french fries. You can also choose from a variety of homemade sauces to accent your sandwich.
We stopped by to check out the new Summer menu sandwiches debuting at Jake’s Sandwich Board available through August. These new sandwiches highlight the creativity we know and love from Jake’s as well as offering some more options for vegetable lovers too!
- RCT with spicy roasted chicken thighs with Sriracha spread, crushed chili peppers and pickles, served on a seeded round roll
- BREAKFAST OVER BRISKET: an instant favorite: a sunny-side-up egg topped with two hash browns and bacon placed over sliced brisket and a cream cheese spread, served on a seeded round roll
- BROCC-MI is Jake’s version of a banh mi: charred broccoli with Sriracha spread,
- topped with pickled carrots/daikons, sliced jalapeno and cilantro $7.5
- BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER with crunchy pretzel coated cauliflower tossed in buffalo sauce with baby spinach, pickled red onions and blue cheese dressing
We loved the Breakfast over Brisket because who doesn’t love a hearty sandwich that tastes like breakfast but served all day? The brisket from Jake’s is also incredibly tender and juicy after being roasted for over 12 hours. If you’re looking for something a little lighter in the hot summer days the Brocc-Mi Sandwich is a must with a little bit of spice. The Buffalo Cauliflower has some more spice and a whole lot of crunch from the pretzel-crusted coating. If you like it spicy then you’ll also love the RCT with spicy roasted chicken thighs and Jake’s Sriracha spread. These sandwiches are not to be missed so head to Jake’s and grab them before they’re gone!
- MENSCH with brisket with horseradish spread, caramelized onions & mild provolone
- 50/50 loaded with ½ pork. ½ bacon, sriracha spread & sharp provolone (this sandwich won Best of Philly 2012)
- MIDTOWN TURKEY is a great option for a salad with avocado puree, roasted veggies & pickled red onions
*SECRET MENU: The Garlic Bomb with homemade roasted garlic spread, brisket, provolone cheese and breaded crunchy whole garlic cloves (featured on the Travel Channel)
Satisfy your sweet tooth and keep cool with their Chocolate-Strawberry shake of the month for July, made with Potts ice cream from Basset’s. AND if you’re really feeling hungry you can always request the 5 lb Challenge which started when Jake’s first opened. This eating challenge is only done by request and highlights a theme of fun Philly foods. It includes a 3lb Brisket or Pork Cheesesteak, 4 soft pretzels, 12 Tastykakes and 24 peanut chews (originally made in Philadelphia).
Whatever you decide, Jake’s is sure to satisfy. Don’t be selfish ask about having Jake’s cater your next office function. Online ordering from Jake’s is available on their website with Chow Now and delivery options through Grubhub and Caviar.
Additional images from Jake’s Sandwich Board. We would like to thank Alison, Sean, and Gary for inviting us to try the new menu at Jake’s and learn more about their awesome sandwiches.