These stuffed peppers are quick and easy to make. As a bonus I like to try this recipe out when I have leftover vegetables in my fridge that I want to make use of. The recipe is very healthy and can be made vegetarian by skipping the ground meat and substituting chopped zucchini or loading up on some other vegetables in the filling. You can even make it vegan by skipping out on the meat and shredded cheese!
- Red Peppers (or if you prefer yellow, orange, or green)
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey (you can also use ground pork, beef, or chicken)
- Fresh Spinach/Kale
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 8 oz. can diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Shredded Parmesan or Cheddar cheese
- *Optional: Black Beans, Brown Rice, Quinoa, and/or Avocado
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Rise and cut the peppers in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large pot and blanch the peppers until tender-crisp, about 1 minute. Drain and cool under cold running water. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 diced onion and 1 clove minced garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. *Option to also add a diced pepper to the mix.
- Add turkey, salt and pepper, cumin, red pepper flake, and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, just until it loses its pink color, about 2 minutes. Drain the fat.
5. Turn the stove to low and add a can of diced tomato (or 2 fresh diced tomatoes). Add fresh spinach or kale and cover until wilted.
6. Turn off stove, mix in 1 tablespoon of chopped parlsey. *Option to mix in 1 cup of cooked quinoa, brown rice, or 1/2 a can of black or pinto beans.
7. Stuff the peppers with the mixture and place them in deep dish. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese. Do not overfill peppers, reheat any remaining stuffing in a small casserole dish.
8. Cover and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, 15-20 minutes. Then remove and let cool. Garnish with chopped parsley. *Optional garnish with slices of avocado and enjoy!