Mediterranean Beef Kebabs
- ½ ounce sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 white onion
- Fresh mint
- 10 ounces ground beef
- Kebab spice blend (baharat – garlic powder)
- 1½ ounces pistachios
- 1 strip preserved lemon
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- ¾ pound cauliflower
- Fresh dill
- 6 wooden skewers
1. Prep the sun-dried tomatoes. In a pot, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, remove from the heat, and let soak until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid, then finely chop the tomatoes and set aside. While they soak, prepare the vegetables.
3. Season the meat and make the relish. In a bowl, combine the ground beef, kebab spice blend, and sun-dried tomatoes with half the onion and half the mint. Season generously with salt and pepper. Let stand, meanwhile:
- Coarsely chop the pistachios.
- Remove any pulp from the preserved lemon; finely chop the peel.
In a bowl, combine the pistachios, preserved lemon, and reserved mint. Stir in 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar and 2 to 3 teaspoons oil.
4. Make the cauliflower mash:
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets, discarding any leaves or thick stalks.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the cauliflower and remaining onions and cook until just soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the reserved tomato soaking liquid, season with salt, and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the cauliflower is tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
Transfer the cauliflower mixture to a bowl. Using a fork, mash until smooth. Alternatively, transfer to a food processor and process until smooth.
Stir in the dill and 1 tablespoon oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Make the kebabs: Divide the beef mixture into 6 equal portions. Form them into sausages and thread them onto the skewers.
6. Serve: Transfer the cauliflower mash to individual plates. Top with the beef kebabs and the pistachio relish and enjoy!
We would like to thank Sun Basket for providing us with the recipe and ingredients to make this meal.