We all know that sweet and salty is a winning combination. Wrap it all up in bacon and you’ve got a recipe that will please every palate. Being fans of happy hour we’ve noticed this dish on the menu at a few of our favorite spots and decided to investigate into making it at home. This appetizer is super easy to make and can be prepared before a party, so your guests will be munching on the salty, sweet, and oh-so-satisfying bite-sized, bacon-wrapped dates the second they arrive at your home. Served at room temperature these little bites of delight can be easily prepared in advance and kept warm in the oven.
- 8 slices bacon
- Thinly sliced bacon will cook more quickly and allow for maximum crunch!
- 16 Medjool pitted dates
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese (chevre)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the dates lengthwise on one side to create an opening.
- Using a spoon, stuff a small amount of goat cheese into the cavity of each date and press the sides together to close.
- Cut the bacon slices in half. Wrap each date with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Arrange evenly on a baking sheet with raised edges (otherwise grease will get everywhere, covering with a piece of aluminum foil is recommended for easier clean up) and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the dates and use the toothpick to turn each one so it’s laying on its side. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until browned to your liking, and turn the dates to the other side and repeat.
- Remove from the oven, place on a paper towel lined plate, and let stand before serving at room remperature.