Nonno’s big shrimp crusted with garlic and crunchy bread crumbs were always a part of our Sunday night family dinners. Simple bold flavors make this dish reminiscent of Shrimp Scampi without the pasta and ideal for serving at a dinner party or as an appetizer to a formal dinner. Gluten free breadcrumbs can easily be substituted in this dish and dried red pepper flakes will bring up the heat for those who like something spicier.
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs, made from Italian or French bread
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- About 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Lemon wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly oil a large baking pan.
2. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Add 3 tablespoons oil, or enough to moisten the crumbs.
3. Arrange the shrimp in the pan in a single layer, curling each one into a circle. Spoon a little of the crumb mixture onto each shrimp. Drizzle with a little more oil.
4. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp, or until the shrimp turn pink and the crumbs are lightly browned. Serve with lemon wedges.