We’ve taken the French classic dish and made it with Jarlsberg® Cheese. You’ll enjoy the creamy texture and flavors of this dish, perfect as an appetizer or main course. It pairs well with a tangy vinaigrette or fresh summer tomatoes. We especially enjoy whipping it out at a family dinner when we’re grilling outdoors and we can sneak into the kitchen to present our guests with a little treat.
Jarlsberg® Cheese started in 1956 with a Norwegian recipe. Its flavor can be described as mild, nutty and delicious! Jarlsberg® Cheese is endorsed by the Good Housekeeping Nutritionist Approved Emblem. All Jarlsberg Cheese varieties are naturally lactose and gluten free.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 4 tbsp. plain flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated Jarlsberg® cheese
- 5 eggs with the whites and yolks separated
- Jarlsberg® cheese for the topping
- Baking paper and small ramekins are also needed
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 °F. In a pan, heat the milk, bay leaves and shallot until boiling. Remove the pan from the heat and let the contents rest for 20 minutes. Grease the inside of the ovenproof ramekins.
- The soufflé mixture will rise quite high, so don’t overfill the ramekins. Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Strain the rested milk mixture, and gradually whisk it into the butter and flour mixture.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in mustard, salt, cayenne pepper and grated Jarlsberg® cheese. Then stir the egg yolks into the mixture. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and gently fold them into the mixture, a little at a time. Divide the mixture between the greased ramekins.
- Sprinkle a little extra Jarlsberg® cheese on top, if desired. Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes until the soufflés are golden and well risen. They should be slightly soft in the middle. Slice the tomatoes and melon.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking the juice of the lime and the orange together with the oil and mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve the soufflés immediately after they are taken out of the oven.
For a complete product list and more recipes, go to www.jarlsberg.com