Tired of your typical tailgate fare? Well we’ve partnered with Fresh Cravings to bring you a tasty treat for your next tailgate! This Sunday, September 23rd the Philadelphia Eagles will be taking on the Indianapolis Colts. We’ll be watching the game with friends and family while devouring this zesty Tailgate Grilled Cheese.
No one can deny the deliciousness of the classic combo of tortilla chips and salsa made with fresh ingredients and bold flavors. Fresh Cravings Salsa has got an authentic and vibrant flavor which is why we chose it for this recipe. Ditch the jarred salsa, this fresh chilled salsa won’t break your budget and its made with fresh tomatoes, zesty peppers, and hand-picked spices in small batches, packed with nutrients, free from major allergens, and has a bright, savory flavor you’ll crave for healthy snacking at home and with friends.
For this recipe we used Fresh Cravings Chunky Salsa. Made with a blend of fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes, onions, fragrant cilantro, Anaheim and Serrano chili peppers, and bold spices. But you could also use Fresh Cravings Restaurant Style Salsa, this smooth salsa is made with vine-ripened tomatoes, savory spices, and hand-cut vegetables.
- 4 slices of thick white sandwich bread *we love the option of a fresh loaf of Italian bread or brioche bread sliced by hand to your desired thickness.
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sliced fresh jalapeño peppers *optional if you’re not a fan of something spicy!
- 4 tablespoons of Fresh Cravings Chunky Salsa
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add butter. Depending on the size of your skillet, one sandwich may need to be made at a time (add half of the butter if making one sandwich at a time).
- As the butter is melting, lay each piece of bread on the butter just enough to coat each side of the bread.
- Lift the bread slightly with a spatula to take a peek at how the bottom side of the bread is browning. As soon as the bottom sides of the bread are a golden color, turn the bread over and add both shredded cheese on top.
- Top with sliced jalapeños and salsa. It may be helpful to press the spoonful of salsa to drain extra liquid before adding to the sandwich.
- Carefully turn one side of the bread over on to the other one to make a sandwich.
- Cover the pan with a lid and continue to cook the sandwich until the outside pieces of bread are lightly browned and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot right out of the pan by itself or more salsa for dipping! Guacamole is also a great option if you want to counter the spicy jalapeños inside.
Fresh Cravings Salsas can be found chilled in the produce section at Walmart, at a price competitive with or lower than jarred salsa brands. The Fresh Cravings product line includes Restaurant Style, Chunky, and Pico de Gallo. Fresh Cravings is made in the USA and is part of FoodStory Brands, which searches the world to bring thoughtfully curated and affordably priced food and beverage products to American tables.