As the weather gets warmer this time of year we’re all about adding some fresh flavors to our cooking! That’s why we love Fresh Cravings Salsa. Their salsa isn’t sold in a jar, you can find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store (usually in the produce section). Loaded with vine-ripened tomatoes, herbs, and fresh jalapeño, Fresh Cravings Salsa has all the bold flavors you love. This recipe was inspired by bold flavors and our love for tacos- this recipe is for hearty Tex Mex Pasta. It is perfect for a satisfying dinner your whole family is sure to love. Plus we bet you might even have some leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 box- approx. 2.5 cups, dry pasta (we love macaroni, penne, and rotini)
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- Taco Seasoning ( homemade ingredients below)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 container Fresh Cravings Chunky or Restaurant style salsa
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2-3 cups grated shredded Mexican cheese blend or Sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 3 qt baking dish (9×13″). Set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, add dried pasta and cook 1 minute less than the package directs for al dente. Drain and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil to keep from sticking.
While water is coming up to a boil, take shredded cheese and divide into three piles. Approximately 1 cup for the sauce, 1/2 cup for the inner layer, and 1/2 cup for the topping.
Melt butter 2 tablespoons in a large saucepan over Low/Medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Mixture will look like very wet sand. Cook for approximately 1 minute, whisking often. Slowly pour in about 1 cups or so of the milk, while whisking constantly, until smooth. Slowly pour in the remaining milk, while whisking constantly, until combined and smooth.
Continue to heat over Low/Medium heat, whisking very often, until thickened to a very thick consistency (almost be the consistency of a semi thinned out condensed soup.)
Stir in spices and 1/2 cup of the cheese, stirring to melt and combine. Stir in another 1/2 cups of cheese, and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Meanwhile, brown your ground beef/turkey in a pan over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir the seasoning into your ground beef/turkey.
- Add your salsa to the mixture of seasoned meat and drain the pasta. Toss your cooked noodles in the cheese sauce and then slowly fold in the salsa and meat mixture.
- Transfer half of the mix into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and then pour in the rest of the mixed pasta and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake until cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving and enjoy!
This recipe was sponsored by Fresh Cravings Salsa.