For National Avocado Day we’re cooking up something special. This Italian “milanese” style dish is made with thin pieces of meat coated in bread crumbs and fried. Traditionally made with butter, we put a healthy little twist on the recipe by preparing it with BetterBody Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil for sautéing the cutlets. This oil is Non-GMO and Gluten Free with a high smoke point of 500°F so that it’s great for stir frying, sautéing and more. It’s also compliant with Whole30 and Paleo diets. With similar monounsaturated fat, Avocado Oil is like olive oil you can cook with. It’s also diverse enough and great for dressing salads.
This recipe can also be made with veal cutlets or pork. Topped with a light arugula salad, fresh squeezed lemon, fresh grated Parmesan cheese, and fresh ground black pepper. This dish is pure comfort food, but light so that you’re sure to enjoy it year-round. So why not get creative this National Avocado Day and skip the Avocado Toast!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons BetterBody Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil
- 2 cups of Arugula
- 1/2 cup Parmesan (freshly grated)
- Place your palm flat against the top of each chicken breast and carefully slice each piece in half horizontally; you’ll be left with 4 thinner chicken breast pieces.
- Place each chicken cutlet between two sheets of waxed paper and use the smooth side of a mallet (or a rolling pin) to pound them until they’re very thin. If you think they’re thin enough, pound them a few more times! The thinner the better.
- In a dish, whisk together the milk and eggs. Place the flour in another dish and mix in some salt and pepper. Place the breadcrumbs in a third dish. Set the 3 dishes aside.
- Season both side off the chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge each one at a time in the flour, then quickly dunk both sides in the egg mixture and then coat both sides in the breadcrumbs. Lay each piece on a plate until you’re ready to cook them.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of BetterBody Foods Avocado Oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. When it’s hot, add breaded raw chicken and be careful not to allow pieces to overlap. Cook, flipping once, until the breading is golden brown and the chicken is cooked, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer the chicken to a clean plate.
- Add another tablespoon of BetterBody Foods Avocado Oil to the skillet to warm and cook the other pieces of chicken.
- Toss arugula in BetterBody Foods Avocado Oil with fresh ground black pepper and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
- To serve, place 1 piece of cooked chicken on each plate. Top generously with arugula. Sprinkle to taste with kosher salt, and fresh squeezed lemon. Finish plate with a lemon wedge.