This week kicks off DesignPhiladelphia‘s 10 day festival, read on for details- you don’t want to miss it!
DesignPhiladelphia, hosted by Center / Architecture + Design, is an annual public festival showcasing the work of thousands of artists, architects and designers. There will be hundreds of events held throughout Philadelphia over the ten-day fete and many are designed with cocktail culture in mind. This year’s festival is presented by Philadelphia University and Thomas Jefferson University.
Last night started off with a bang as the DesignPhiladelphia 2016 Kickoff Party took place at Provenance, 1801 N. American Street. The kickoff to it all – the design community mixed and mingled over food and drinks in an expansive warehouse packed with architectural relics and salvage.
- Home Sweet Hood, multiple dates, 6:00-9:00 p.m., Wm. Mulherin’s Sons, 1355 Front Street, $15 A guided, educational bar crawl through Philadelphia’s most exciting neighborhoods for civicminded, urban enthusiasts. Cost includes transport and first beverage.
- “Yappy” Hour with PSPCA, October 6, 5:00-8:00 p.m., Pennsylvania SPCA, 350 E. Erie Avenue, $25 The Pennsylvania chapter of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals hosts a “yappy” hour to kick off the ‘Design on a Dime’ Rooster Housing Design Build Competition. Drinks, details of the competition, facility tours and animal cuddles from the four-legged residents who call this place “home” (for now).
- Home is where your _______ is., October 6, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Electronic Ink, 1 S. Broad Street, 19th floor, free A free workshop presented by Electronic Ink to design an unconventional living space to meet the needs of a cast of fictional characters. A fun, informative, interactive night of mingling, food and drinks.
- MIO miXer, October 7, 6:00-10:00 p.m., MIO, 511 N. 13th Street, free MIO, Bose Professional, and DJ Ben Arsenal have partnered together to celebrate sound and acoustic design with an interactive installation. Attendees are invited to enjoy cocktails and create immersive sound experiences.
- Millésimé & Ligne Roset & Arclinea Kitchens, October 14, 7:00-10:00 p.m., Millésimé & Ligne Roset, 33 N. 2nd Street, free One of Philadelphia’s finest collections of modern and contemporary furniture, lighting and home accessories celebrates its first anniversary in a new home with libations and music.
- KieranTimberlake: Drawn + Quartered Exhibit Closing Reception, October 14, 6:00-9:00 p.m., KieranTimberlake Studios, 841 N. American Street, free Closing night party celebrating experimental projects via full-scale models and life-size mockups, including a custom facade strut for the new US Embassy in London, an 11-foot-tall polyurethane shading fin built for Brown University’s School of Engineering and 3D-printed prototypes of Pointelist, a turn-key building sensor network developed by the firm. Held in their studios, the former Ortlieb Brewery’s bottling house, a 1940s building renovated by the firm.
Photo credit: Chris Kendig