There’s nothing like a piping hot bowl of turkey chili to warm you up on a chilly day. Plus what could be better than a hearty meal while watching Super Bowl 51 this Sunday?! This recipe is slightly more healthy than other game-time snacks and since you can make in a slow cooker its easy and delicious. This way you won’t miss a moment of the Atlanta Falcons versus the New England Patriots… or the commercials and half-time show, because really that is our favorite part.
We’re becoming big fans of the slow cooker recently — when you’re done a long day and work and you come home out of the freezing cold. Sometimes you don’t want to spend hours prepping, slicing, chopping, washing, and stirring. With this recipe you can literally dump everything in the slow cooker at once, walk away, and come back a couple hours later to a fantastic meal — plus the whole house smells great too! Here’s our recipe for Slow Cooker Turkey Chili. You’ll have plenty of leftovers for dinner or lunch throughout the week.
- 1.3 lb (20 oz) ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped chilies
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained
- Chili powder
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Brown the turkey and onion in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through.
- Transfer to the slow cooker. Mix in the packet of taco seasoning, making sure to cover all the turkey.
- Add the beans, chilies, chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, and cumin. Mix well. (We then to always end up adding a lot more spices than the recipe calls for- which is why we didn’t include the amounts in the ingredients. Just play with the spices and get to the level that you want!)
- Cook on high 6 to 8 hours or low 10 to 12.
- Garnish with onions, cheese, sour cream, or any of your other favorite toppings! (Or maybe put it over some Fritos?)
Recipe from SkinnyTaste, (but tweeked to our liking.)