After first opening Amada back in 2005, Chef Jose Garces opened Tinto, his second restaurant in 2007, at 114 South 20th Street in Rittenhouse. One of our favorite restaurants in the city, Tinto is an intimate wine bar and tapas restaurant that was the first in Philadelphia to showcase the authetic tastes of the Basque country, the coastal and mountainous region that is located between France and Northeastern Spain.
Tinto features pintxos (the Basque equivalent of tapas), charcuterie, cheeses, mariscos (shellfish), brochettes (skewers) and bocadillos (sandwiches). Large plate entrees are available, and everything is designed for sharing. Tinto is Basque slang for red wine, and features 80 varieties of Spanish wine.
Guests can participate in Tinto’s milestone 10th anniversary celebrations including TENTO on Tuesday, April 18th from 6:00-9:00 p.m., Tinto hosts the Tento Celebration, a porron and pintxos party with Jose Garces. Tickets are $60 per person and include charcuterie and cheese stations, passed pintxos, suckling pig and a paella station. Wine stations will be positioned throughout the restaurant. Guests can try their hand at traditional Basque activities like “throwing” cider or drinking from a porron, with prizes for the top participants. Tickets are now available at
Celebrations continue all week April 17-21 with a special weeklong tasting menu featuring highlights from the brand new menu and favorites from past menus for $55 per person. Tinto will also offer $10 glasses of their signature wine, Ameztoi “Rubentis” Getariako Txakolina, all through April.
Tinto Tasting Menu
- Course One
- Charcuterie: Saucisson Sec and Chorizo Pamplona
- Chilled Bean Salad Ventresca Tuna
- Course Two
- Duck Montadito: Duck confit, Serrano ham, la peral spread, black cherry
- Baby Artichokes: Pappardelle, meyer lemon, black truffle
- Shortrib Bocadillo: Braised shortrib, bacon, asparagus, celery root aioli
- Course Three
- Organic Chicken: Truffled mashed potato, brussels sprouts, bacon, idiazabal cream, herb chicken jus
- Rodaballo a la Plantxa: Turbot, sauce pastis, baby fennel
- Patatas Asturianas: Tomato compote, la peral cream
- Course Four
- Pastel Vasco: Almond and vanilla tart, cherries, olive oil ice cream