Holiday season is in full swing and we’re on the prowl for new and creative recipes. We love baking for others because homemade sweets are gifts from the heart and for the belly. Whether your loved ones are near or far this Pistachio Brittle is an easy-to-make and travels well. Our crispy brittle features sweet and creamy Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract to balance out the salty, nutty pistachios. It’s perfect holiday surprise to land on a love one’s doorstep!
Nielsen-Massey Vanillas have been crafting the world’s finest vanillas and flavors since 1907. Founded by Richard Massey, who later partnered with Chatfield Nielsen, Sr, this company is still a family-owned operation run by the third generation. From humble origins in Sterling, Illinois this company now possesses state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities at its headquarters in Waukegan, Illinois, and its plant in Leeuwarden, Netherlands. Enjoyed across the world by restaurant and bakery chefs, manufacturers of premium foods, gourmet food shops and grocers and discriminating home consumers looking to enhance their fine cooking and baking.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups salted, shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with foil. Spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture registers 280 degrees F on a candy thermometer, about an additional 35 minutes. Stir in nuts and continue heating, about another 15 minutes, until mixture reaches 295 degrees F on the thermometer.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla and salt. Add baking soda; the mixture will lighten and foam.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto the prepared cookie sheet until it is about 1/4-inch thick. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Photo and recipe from Nielsen-Massey Vanillas.