In the midst of the holiday season, we’ve got a delicious dish brought to you with some help from Sizzlefish. This Coho Salmon Citrus Kale Salad is filled with bright flavor and will surely leave you satisfied. Sizzlefish brings a variety of highest-quality seafood flash frozen, right to your door in perfectly portioned packaging ideal for preparing quick, easy, and healthy meals.
We ordered a box of the King Salmon and Coho Salmon for this recipe. Sizzlefish offers a growing choice of fish and shellfish: Fish types include three types of salmon as well as two pre-seasoned items, cod, haddock, trout and even sablefish! Sea scallops and gulf shrimp are popular too. Customers can order all of one type, or pick from an array of variety packages.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 whole star anise*
- Star-shaped seedpods; sold in the spice section of some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Asian markets
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 1-pound Coho Salmon fillets with skin (loaded with Omega 3s and protein)
- 2 navel oranges
- 4 cups very thinly sliced fennel (from 2 medium bulbs)
- 6 cups stemmed kale, Swiss chard or a combination
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- Place sugar, vinegar, star anise, and 4 cups cold water in large deep skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add salmon fillet, skin side up, to skillet. Cover skillet and remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, turn salmon over; cover and let stand until salmon is just opaque in center, 5 to 6 minutes longer.
- Remove salmon from liquid and cool. Empty water from pan and dry before turning stove to medium heat and adding fennel with a splash of olive oil to saute.
- Rinse and dry kale leaves then coarsely chop. Add to large bowl. Saute fennel over medium/low heat until translucent.
- Peel skin from oranges. Working over large bowl, cut between membranes, releasing segments into bowl. Repeat with second orange.
- Add fennel, olive oil, pumpkin seeds to bowl and gently toss to combine. Season with fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Serve salmon fillet, skin side down, beside or on top of tossed salad and enjoy!